Bleeding the rear brakes

For Technical or Mechanical discussions and problems
GregW
Cultural Ambassador for Interstate Relations

Re: Bleeding the rear brakes

Postby GregW » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:18 pm

Got this off the yank site, I think :think:

The basic procedure is:

Use a syringe (or something like it) to remove all the old fluid from the master reservoir.

Refill with clean (new) fluid.

Bleed the front left calliper (only one nipple) and right calliper (upper nipple).

Then bleed the rear/linked system by starting at the front right calliper (lower nipple), then the rear brake calliper nipple.

If you are using something like a vacuum system make sure the reservoir level doesn't drop too low in the reservoir .
Of all the things that I've lost, my mind is the one I miss the most.

Jimw
Scraping The Pegs
Scraping The Pegs

Postby Jimw » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:03 am

Yep, separate systems so make sure you bleed the single nipple on the front first and then the rear and do it multiple times. Yep, single puck on the front actuated by the rear pedal, the other 3 front pucks actuated by the front lever.

Actually Diversion, as a rider, I think that the system is a great aide to my riding style and has been well thought out by the Yamaha engineers. Although I think it's more important to approach a corner at the correct speed and I rarely brake in corners, occasionally you get caught out. It is a delight to come hooting into a corner a bit hot, dab the rear brake, settle the bike down in a nice even manner and then jump back on the gas. Previously, in the same situation, if you use too much front brake, the front compresses and puts all the weight on the front wheel, upsetting your balance and making you take off all your speed before being able to pull the bike back on track. Similarly, too much back brake led to the back dragging the bike upright and again upsetting balance when you least need it and also possibly leading to the back letting go.

Warmly suggest that you lift your hat back over your mouth, TFIC.

Regards
Jim

AHAMAY
Grinding the Oggy Knobs
Grinding the Oggy Knobs

Postby AHAMAY » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:24 am

You beat me to it Jim!

I also like the feeling of safety the linked brakes give me.

Maybe I'm a soft-c*ck, and not a "Real Man", but I'd much prefer to have an additional safety buffer that helps keep me shiny side up, particularly with all the challenging drivers and roads out there.
Nothing to see here. Move along...
2013 Gen3

Steve
Sir Dickie Two Knees
Sir Dickie Two Knees

Postby Steve » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:26 pm

If I felt that Yamaha had a design flaw, and that it detracted from my perception of the performance of the bike, I would've bought a Honda.
FarRider #161

FOREVER RIDING Image WITH "DAVO" FarRider #1

Diversion
Grinding the Oggy Knobs
Grinding the Oggy Knobs

Postby Diversion » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:10 pm

Jimw wrote:Yep, separate systems so make sure you bleed the single nipple on the front first and then the rear and do it multiple times. Yep, single puck on the front actuated by the rear pedal, the other 3 front pucks actuated by the front lever.

Actually Diversion, as a rider, I think that the system is a great aide to my riding style and has been well thought out by the Yamaha engineers. Although I think it's more important to approach a corner at the correct speed and I rarely brake in corners, occasionally you get caught out. It is a delight to come hooting into a corner a bit hot, dab the rear brake, settle the bike down in a nice even manner and then jump back on the gas. Previously, in the same situation, if you use too much front brake, the front compresses and puts all the weight on the front wheel, upsetting your balance and making you take off all your speed before being able to pull the bike back on track. Similarly, too much back brake led to the back dragging the bike upright and again upsetting balance when you least need it and also possibly leading to the back letting go.

Warmly suggest that you lift your hat back over your mouth, TFIC.

Regards
Jim

Yamaha has done a fairly good job of making the stupid system work so that some may actually find some benefit from it and most who do have probably only ever ridden in dry or fairly good conditions. Having ridden daily in every kind of weather including snow and ice I can tell you that there are times even the lightest touch of the front brakes would see you face plant before you even realised what happened.
Stupidity Kills
Speed is just along for the ride
http://nospeedcamerasparty.com/morefact ... sense.html

Current toy White FJR1300ap 2008 Called Frejya

Steve
Sir Dickie Two Knees
Sir Dickie Two Knees

Postby Steve » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:28 pm

there's always someone who has done it faster, longer, more dangerous than any of us have ever done so.

Always someone.
FarRider #161

FOREVER RIDING Image WITH "DAVO" FarRider #1

Roguedog
Mulga Bill

Postby Roguedog » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:23 pm

Steve wrote:there's always someone who has done it faster, longer, more dangerous than any of us have ever done so.

Always someone.

??
16 FJR Blue
14 FJR Black
08 FJR Black
07 ZRX1200R Green
06 ZX12R Black
02 ZRX1200S Black
01 ZRX1200S Bitsa
76 Z900 A4 Green
74 Z1A 900 Brown
71 Titan 500

Totgas
P Plater
P Plater

Postby Totgas » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:48 pm

tonyn wrote:Thanks Totgas, are you talking about the main master at the handle bar or the foot brake master cylinder

The master cylinder near the foot pedal
A.

Totgas
P Plater
P Plater

Postby Totgas » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:49 pm

Diversion wrote:You need to fully flush the brakes every two years as brake fluid sucks up water. That said the problem is probably thanks to the stupid linked brake system. You will need to flush and bleed the forward line as well as the rear calliper and rear master. Bleed the front calliper then the rear then the front again then the rear again to ensure that no air or water is trapped.
What is possibly going on is if you apply the front brake but not the rear fluid maybe getting pulled out of the rear towards the front causing a spongey pedal when you do use the rears.

Both front and rear lines have been emptied, new fluid put in and bleed - No change.
A.

Totgas
P Plater
P Plater

Postby Totgas » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:51 pm

john foley wrote:HI Yes I had the same problem with the rear brake, until I did a fluid change three times I had to do, front then back front then back. I used a lot of brake fluid. Now I have a full pedal. I think air gets trapped in the abs unit. TT.

Now that sounds like the best advice I've heard so far. Thanks.
A.

Return to “Is there a doctor in the house?”