Bleeding the rear brakes

For Technical or Mechanical discussions and problems
tonyn
Removing the Chicken Strips

Bleeding the rear brakes

Postby tonyn » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:34 pm

I've heard of others having the same issue with having to bleed the the rear brakes every now and then due to a soft pedal and yet can't find any leaks on my Gen 2
Does anyone know if it's the the foot pedal master cylinder or the rear calipers the issue

Roguedog
Mulga Bill

Re: Bleeding the rear brakes

Postby Roguedog » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:29 am

Try messaging Totgas, he recently had this issue and had work done on his rear MC.
All the Best
Rogue
16 FJR Blue
14 FJR Black
08 FJR Black
07 ZRX1200R Green
06 ZX12R Black
02 ZRX1200S Black
01 ZRX1200S Bitsa
76 Z900 A4 Green
74 Z1A 900 Brown
71 Titan 500

Totgas
P Plater
P Plater

Postby Totgas » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:47 am

tonyn wrote:I've heard of others having the same issue with having to bleed the the rear brakes every now and then due to a soft pedal and yet can't find any leaks on my Gen 2
Does anyone know if it's the the foot pedal master cylinder or the rear calipers the issue

Yes, exactly the same issue. 1 minute the back brake was fine the next spongy as hell.
Took it to the dealer who said he couldn't find any issue except small bit of air in front brake line (had a service at the same time). Went for a ride after the service and rear brake still crap. Front is much stronger, but that wasn't the issue. Took it back, he was scratching his head so I asked him to put a master cylinder kit in - Tells me that there isn't one in Australia. 2/52 to get 1 in from Japan. So ended up asking him to fit an after market kit. Did, and it still hasn't made and difference. Only thing I can think of it that the genuine one comes with a new piston, after market didn't - Could it be the piston has somehow worn? Don't know, but currently riding around with spongy rear brake - Not happy Jan!

tonyn

Postby tonyn » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:09 pm

Thanks Totgas, are you talking about the main master at the handle bar or the foot brake master cylinder
I've had the bike 3 or 4 years now only just started to do this in the last year and I am a mechanic by trade but can't find any leaks and yes it's frustrating as a soft pedal is annoying
I might check some overseas websites

tonyn

Postby tonyn » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:11 pm

Thanks Roguedog

Diversion
Grinding the Oggy Knobs
Grinding the Oggy Knobs

Postby Diversion » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:32 pm

You need to fully flush the brakes every two years as brake fluid sucks up water. That said the problem is probably thanks to the stupid linked brake system. You will need to flush and bleed the forward line as well as the rear calliper and rear master. Bleed the front calliper then the rear then the front again then the rear again to ensure that no air or water is trapped.
What is possibly going on is if you apply the front brake but not the rear fluid maybe getting pulled out of the rear towards the front causing a spongey pedal when you do use the rears.
Stupidity Kills
Speed is just along for the ride
http://nospeedcamerasparty.com/morefact ... sense.html

Current toy White FJR1300ap 2008 Called Frejya

The White Tiger

Postby The White Tiger » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:24 am

Just curious here with the linked brakes on my Gen II. When you hit the front brake, it only operates the front brakes. When you hit the rear brake, it only brings on one of the front pistons as well as the rear. That's what the second hydraulic hose is on the right hand side. Aren't the front and rear brake fluids completely separate :?: :think:
May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you're dead - An old Irish blessing
Learn the rules so you can break them properly - Dalai Lama

Diversion
Grinding the Oggy Knobs
Grinding the Oggy Knobs

Postby Diversion » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:11 pm

The White Tiger wrote:Just curious here with the linked brakes on my Gen II. When you hit the front brake, it only operates the front brakes. When you hit the rear brake, it only brings on one of the front pistons as well as the rear. That's what the second hydraulic hose is on the right hand side. Aren't the front and rear brake fluids completely separate :?: :think:

Correct. The master cylinders aren't linked. The rear master operates one front calliper.
If there were a safe way to disconnect them I'd consider it as it's a stupid idea brought about by idiots who don't know how to ride and use the brakes properly killing themselves by not using the front brakes in an emergency.
And has probably caused a lot of accidents when riders who needed rear brakes only lost the front thanks to that.
Stupidity Kills
Speed is just along for the ride
http://nospeedcamerasparty.com/morefact ... sense.html

Current toy White FJR1300ap 2008 Called Frejya

john foley
P Plater
P Plater

Postby john foley » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:17 pm

HI Yes I had the same problem with the rear brake, until I did a fluid change three times I had to do, front then back front then back. I used a lot of brake fluid. Now I have a full pedal. I think air gets trapped in the abs unit. TT.

Roguedog
Mulga Bill

Postby Roguedog » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:04 pm

Didn't have this problem on my 71 T500, cable operated drum front and rear!!
Just saying....
16 FJR Blue
14 FJR Black
08 FJR Black
07 ZRX1200R Green
06 ZX12R Black
02 ZRX1200S Black
01 ZRX1200S Bitsa
76 Z900 A4 Green
74 Z1A 900 Brown
71 Titan 500

Return to “Is there a doctor in the house?”