Bleeding the rear brakes

For Technical or Mechanical discussions and problems
Jimw
Scraping The Pegs
Scraping The Pegs

Re: Bleeding the rear brakes

Postby Jimw » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:00 am

Don't know if it makes a difference, but in test mode, you can get the ABS to warble. I.e., it exercises the front and back brakes via the ABS unit. If there is any stickiness in the unit then this would help loosen it I'm sure. It would certainly help diagnose where any issue may lie.

It's easy to pull out the ABS wiring connector next to the battery and simply Bridge the top 2 wires. It's all in your manual. I was a bit nervous about doing it but there is no damage that you can do, so have a go.

tonyn
Removing the Chicken Strips

Postby tonyn » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:24 pm

I don't have a manual so how do you do abs test mode

tonyn

Postby tonyn » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:24 pm

I don't have a manual so how do you do abs test mode

Jimw
Scraping The Pegs
Scraping The Pegs

Postby Jimw » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:42 pm

Sorry for the late reply Tony but I've been earning petrol money for my next big foray across Aus.

With the bike off, take off the battery cover. On the fork leg side of the battery and about 50mm forward of the forward edge of the battery, you will find a 4 wire harness plug held on a small metal clip. Slide it towards the rear of the bike and then pull it so that you have enough room to fiddle with it. There is a blanking plug in it. Pull this out. Then get a small bit of wire with 2 small alligator clips and short out the top 2 wires.

Test 1. Now, with the bike on the centre stand, press the front and back brake levers and hold them on. With the brakes on, turn the ignition switch to on. Do not press the start switch. This will send a single pulse to the hand lever which you will feel in your hand and 2 pulses to the brake lever, which you will feel in your foot. If you have a mate, they can try to rotate the back wheel which should turn a bit in between the two rear brake pulses but you don't need to do this.

Test 2. With the bike ignition off and the bike on the centre stand and the bridging wire on the plug near the battery, set the engine run/stop switch to off (engine stop). Turn the ignition switch on. Push the starter button for at lest 4 seconds. Note that as the engine run/stop switch is off, the bike will not start. Release the starter button and then simultaneously press the foot brake and the hand brake. This will pulse the hand brake for 2 seconds and then the foot brake for 2 seconds and then the hand brake again for 2 seconds.

The pulses provide a rather eerie feeling in the lever and pedal, but they will tell you unequivocally if the system is working or not.

To finish up, turn the ignition switch to off, remove the jumper lead, replace the blanking plug and return the plug to its little metal tang.

Hope this helps.

Jimw
Scraping The Pegs
Scraping The Pegs

Postby Jimw » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:54 pm

Just so youse know, if you put the jumper lead on the top 2 pins of the diagnostic plug as explained above and then simply turn your ignition switch on, any ABS fault codes will show up on your display panel.

To clear the codes, have the jumper in place, set the engine start/stop switch to off, turn on the ignition switch and then press the starter button at least 10 times. Note that as the start/stop switch is off, the engine won't start.

This "at least 10 times" instruction immediately brought to mind the trouble Sheldon Cooper had with similar instructions, but let me assure you that if you do 11 or even 12 pushes, the results will be the success. If however you only do 8 or 9, the results will be a fail and you will have to sell your bike for a pittance.

Jim

tonyn

Postby tonyn » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:19 pm

Thanks Jim Willet you know how Igowith that Oren have now bled the brake ad things are lot better
There's a new issue when using the front brake lever most times feel is normal the occasionally the levers rock hard and very touchy then the next time it's back to normal

Return to “Is there a doctor in the house?”