ABS Light Curse

For Technical or Mechanical discussions and problems
Jimw
Scraping The Pegs
Scraping The Pegs

ABS Light Curse

Postby Jimw » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:59 pm

Is it only me that is cursed? What did I ever do to the Yamaha Gods?

I managed to find a buyer for my bike, 2008 FJR1300A and was looking to swap over on the weekend.

Only thing left to do was put a new set of PR4's on it - easy right.

Removed both wheels and took them down and left them with the bike shop to do all the farrier work. Got them back and put them back on the bike. I was even extra careful about how I aligned everything and made sure that it was all a professional job.

Yesterday arvo I took it for its final test run to scuff the tyre in and make sure all was in readyness for the big day.

Then, on comes the ABS light. Stop, turn the bike off and back on and all working again. About 5 minutes later on comes the ABS light. No matter what I do, it comes back on. I decided to try again on Friday so i packed it away for the night - it got to -4 here last night. Same ABS light today. So, I learnt how to make up the test abs cable to put it into diag mode. After lots of testing it comes out with codes 17 and 45 which point to either the sensor, or the magic magnetic ring.

I dont know how to test either of these units and I dont have another one to swap them out so I'll have to buy them both and see how I go.

I guess my question to the FJR family is have you ever been involved with these issues or is it just that rain cloud that follows me personally wherever I go? This is a first for me and at the worst time possible.

Jim

GregW
Cultural Ambassador for Interstate Relations

Re: ABS Light Curse

Postby GregW » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:20 pm

Don't ask me...................I ain't talking to any cockroaches after Wednesday night :angry-cussingblack: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Of all the things that I've lost, my mind is the one I miss the most.

Diversion
Grinding the Oggy Knobs
Grinding the Oggy Knobs

Postby Diversion » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:21 pm

In pulling the wheels off you may have bumped the sensors out of position.
Remove them give them a clean and check that the tone rings are in the right place before throwing parts at it.
Stupidity Kills
Speed is just along for the ride
http://nospeedcamerasparty.com/morefact ... sense.html

Current toy White FJR1300ap 2008 Called Frejya

john foley
P Plater
P Plater

Postby john foley » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:08 am

Hi did you damage the connection when you let the abs Assy come out of the hub. John

Jimw
Scraping The Pegs
Scraping The Pegs

Postby Jimw » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:30 am

I've checked and double checked the sensor lead for any damage but cannot find any. It snakes back up the fork leg and under the tank where I believe there is a connector. Unfortunately there is no way to actually test the sensor to see if it's working. The only way is by substitution.

Similarly with the magnetic ring, I have cleaned it but can see no "damage" but there are some marks on it. Again, there is no way to test it. I have checked the distance from the sensor housing to the mag plate and it is within spec 29.8mm.

I have also checked the battery which was new about 6 months ago and it is within voltage spec, which seemed to fix a similar issue that Bernie had some time back. Coincidentally, it was our first real cold week this week which never works well on batteries, Looks like it's off with the tank and do a little lead chasing and then a purchase so some spares.

Diversion
Grinding the Oggy Knobs
Grinding the Oggy Knobs

Postby Diversion » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:42 pm

Jimw wrote:I've checked and double checked the sensor lead for any damage but cannot find any. It snakes back up the fork leg and under the tank where I believe there is a connector. Unfortunately there is no way to actually test the sensor to see if it's working. The only way is by substitution.

Similarly with the magnetic ring, I have cleaned it but can see no "damage" but there are some marks on it. Again, there is no way to test it. I have checked the distance from the sensor housing to the mag plate and it is within spec 29.8mm.

I have also checked the battery which was new about 6 months ago and it is within voltage spec, which seemed to fix a similar issue that Bernie had some time back. Coincidentally, it was our first real cold week this week which never works well on batteries, Looks like it's off with the tank and do a little lead chasing and then a purchase so some spares.

Get some bug spray and kill the spiders while you have the tank off ;-) A bad earth may be all that's wrong.
Stupidity Kills
Speed is just along for the ride
http://nospeedcamerasparty.com/morefact ... sense.html

Current toy White FJR1300ap 2008 Called Frejya

Jimw
Scraping The Pegs
Scraping The Pegs

Postby Jimw » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:03 pm

I'm sure you are all hanging out to find out what happened when I suddenly got the ABS light to come up after a tyre change by the local bike shop - wheels off the bike. This, mind you, the day after I had done a deal to sell the bike to a lovely bloke from Brisbane.

Firstly, I built the special tool that lets you read the ABS error codes. Its a bit of wire with 2 alligator clips on both ends. You then join the top 2 wires in the ABS testing connector near the battery. This lets you read the error codes and also to reset the system and codes. It also lets you do fun stuff like cycle the ABS actuator to make sure that it is in good condition.

Anyway, the persistent codes - 11 and 25 - 17 and 45 - point to weak signals coming from the front ABS sensor down on the front wheel. Duly, I found a secondhand sensor wire for $20, jury rigged it in place and had the same errors coming up which meant that the only other culprit was the ABS magnetic ring housed on the front hub itself. Interestingly, whilst running on flat tarmac, the error would take 5 to 10 klm to present itself, but a run up my dirt driveway would trigger the ABS light within a few metres.

Well, on 15 June I ordered an ABS ring from Yamaha. None in the country so a 3 week wait. Well, today, 7 weeks later, the part has arrived and I have had some success. The light is now out and so is my patience with Yamaha.

ABS ring before replacement

New ABS ring installed

Can you spot the difference? Truly, that is the last time I deal with a local bike shop, the bar-stard has cost me too much money, heartache and lost riding time. I can only guess that they have spilt something on the ring whilst changing the tyre and have rubbed it good and hard to make it clean again. However, it has given me time to reflect on the sale of this bike and I have decided to keep it for a while yet. I may still have a few good miles in me yet. My apologies to everyone that I have let down.

Mind you I will still be getting a MT-09 but I will have to be a lot more creative about the story of its arrival when its spotted in the garage.

Regards
Jim

GregW
Cultural Ambassador for Interstate Relations

Postby GregW » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:24 pm

Bloody stealers :snooty: :snooty:
Of all the things that I've lost, my mind is the one I miss the most.

Werner
Removing the Chicken Strips
Removing the Chicken Strips

Postby Werner » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:05 pm

Glad it's sorted Jim.

Werner

Return to “Is there a doctor in the house?”