Valve noise in recent purchase.

For Technical or Mechanical discussions and problems
Pegasus
Learners Permit

Valve noise in recent purchase.

Postby Pegasus » Mon May 29, 2017 6:10 pm

Hi all, it's been a while. Lots of water under my bridges. So...

Have purchased an ex cop 2012 model with 49KKm as a refresh for my existing 2008. It rides well but was a bastard to start on collection from the auctions. I had to use my Li-Fe battery from the 2008 as the standard sealed battery was about flat. Even then it took about six or seven hits on the starter to fire. I thought it was due to standing around for a couple of months. Then I noticed The Noise. It sounds like a stuck hydraulic lifter, present at idle and very noticeable when using tiny amounts of throttle or just matching revs to road speed. It goes away on acceleration and when engine braking. After about fifteen minutes of terror it went away and the bike sounded as it should. I thought something had gummed up and released when I rode it. Left it for a couple of days and went to start it yesterday, The Noise is back. I haven't ridden it again yet. Could it be piston slap?

Diversion
Grinding the Oggy Knobs
Grinding the Oggy Knobs

Re: Valve noise in recent purchase.

Postby Diversion » Mon May 29, 2017 8:03 pm

It could be the air injection system and not a valve at all.
One of my Diversions had issues with the system and it was very noisy, there was a leak on some of the injection pipes and the reed valves would chatter and it all sounded like blown head gaskets and stuck lifters etc
PERMANENTLY fixing the leaks quieted it right down and it purred like a kitten thereafter.
Stupidity Kills
Speed is just along for the ride
http://nospeedcamerasparty.com/morefact ... sense.html

Current toy White FJR1300ap 2008 Called Frejya

Pegasus
Learners Permit

Postby Pegasus » Tue May 30, 2017 6:56 am

Thanks for the suggestion Diversion.

Was it a "come and go" style of noise as mine is or was it constant?

Diversion
Grinding the Oggy Knobs
Grinding the Oggy Knobs

Postby Diversion » Tue May 30, 2017 3:30 pm

It would come and go at first depending on engine temperature.
There are posts and a list of bits available at super cheap on permanently fixing the air injection system which seems to do absolutely no harm.
As it's the cheapest and easiest fix and completely reversible and will quiet down the engine a bit even if it's not the actual problem it may help narrow it down.
I can't imagine a low K engine like that having mechanical issues unless it's gone past the redline or been run without oil , one should be impossible the other would make more than a random noise.
Stupidity Kills
Speed is just along for the ride
http://nospeedcamerasparty.com/morefact ... sense.html

Current toy White FJR1300ap 2008 Called Frejya

dmsantam
Scraping The Pegs
Scraping The Pegs

Postby dmsantam » Wed May 31, 2017 12:01 pm

yes i'd definitely get rid of the air injection system. you need 5 rubber plugs from supercheap to do the job. 4 x 1/2" and 1 x 5/8".

my worry is that it's a timing chain tensioner issue. it's not meant to be a problem on later models, but your symptoms indicate that it could be to me.
Dan, from Sydney
2001 Deep Purplish Blue Yamaha FJR 1300. The fastest and hottest FJR.

Return to “Is there a doctor in the house?”