Pr3 tyre wear question

For Technical or Mechanical discussions and problems
ajhay
Gunmetal GURU
Gunmetal GURU
Posts: 1084
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:58 pm
Location: Gunning

Re: Pr3 tyre wear question

Postby ajhay » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:38 pm

I have a fork brace and I got 17,000 kms out of a set of PR3s.

They could have been changed a few kms earlier but were ok. I have done about 2000kms with the PR4s on, with the GT rear and I am very happy with 39 in the front and 41 rear.

I am about 120kgs and I am running the front a bit soft and the rear on the soft setting, mainly because the roads out here are not the best - the softer setting give the kidneys a gentler ride.

I am not going slow and I don't have any problems with handling when cornering or braking with the softer settings.
Andrew

1977 KZ750B - bent, sold
1982 GSX750 - traded
1983 CB750F2 Bol'dor - destroyed, reborn, traded
1984 GSX400F - traded
1985 GSX1100EF - bent, traded
1987 GSX1100F - traded
2008 FJR1300A - farkled (almost) to death

Sir Price
Grinding The Pipes
Grinding The Pipes
Posts: 471
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:31 am
Location: Emerald Vic

Re: Pr3 tyre wear question

Postby Sir Price » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:41 pm

New PR4 standard case fitted for the tour of Tassie 2016 and After about 2100 klms in Tassie both wet and dry now feels more like my bike . :grin: now to get the orse end suspension sorted and we will be back on track . I reckon at 60 odd thou klms it's time for a refresh of suspension units . Krooztune in Boronia come recommended , let's hope its rebuild able or summit else fitted with more adjustment .
2007 Blue FRiJ

User avatar
dmsantam
Scraping The Pegs
Scraping The Pegs
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:36 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Pr3 tyre wear question

Postby dmsantam » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:41 am

Sir Price wrote:New PR4 standard case fitted for the tour of Tassie 2016 and After about 2100 klms in Tassie both wet and dry now feels more like my bike . :grin: now to get the orse end suspension sorted and we will be back on track . I reckon at 60 odd thou klms it's time for a refresh of suspension units . Krooztune in Boronia come recommended , let's hope its rebuild able or summit else fitted with more adjustment .


At 60K kms, your suspension is indeed likely in need of some work. The rear is not rebuildable in theory, but some places do it somehow. I bought a wilber rear shock:
http://www.wilbers.com.au/index.php/pro ... ks/630-640

about 9 months and 15,000kms ago. i also bought wilbers progressive springs. The springs are based on your weight, and riding style. The rear shock is setup based on your weight and riding style too. The distributor from that website (suspensionsRus) is based in melbourne, and knows what he is doing.

This has completely transformed my bike, and how it handles. It wasn't cheap, at around $1,200 all up. I fitted it myself, with some Belray 10W fork oil.

Just my experience...
Dan, from Sydney
2001 Deep Purplish Blue Yamaha FJR 1300. The fastest and hottest FJR.

Sir Price
Grinding The Pipes
Grinding The Pipes
Posts: 471
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:31 am
Location: Emerald Vic

Re: Pr3 tyre wear question

Postby Sir Price » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:29 am

dmsantam wrote:
At 60K kms, your suspension is indeed likely in need of some work. The rear is not rebuildable in theory, but some places do it somehow. I bought a wilber rear shock:
http://www.wilbers.com.au/index.php/pro ... ks/630-640

about 9 months and 15,000kms ago. i also bought wilbers progressive springs. The springs are based on your weight, and riding style. The rear shock is setup based on your weight and riding style too. The distributor from that website (suspensionsRus) is based in melbourne, and knows what he is doing.

This has completely transformed my bike, and how it handles. It wasn't cheap, at around $1,200 all up. I fitted it myself, with some Belray 10W fork oil.

I replaced the fork oil with 10W in August last year along with taper head stem brgs , as well as using the correct amount of oil in the front forks ( last stealer only had less than 0.5 lt in BOTH legs) . Which helped somewhat .

dmsantam, does your wilbers have the remote hydraulic adjuster , I feel I would like something that has more adjustment than hard and soft , ie solo , two up , and two up loaded to the gunnels , that is top and side boxes full and two up. SuspensionsR us is just down the road from me . What weight are you and how do you categorise your riding style ,
2007 Blue FRiJ

User avatar
dmsantam
Scraping The Pegs
Scraping The Pegs
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:36 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Pr3 tyre wear question

Postby dmsantam » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:00 am

yes, i got the hydraulic adjuster because i sometimes ride with the wife on the back, and sometimes have more gear than other times. it cost me an extra few hundred, but i think it was worth it. everytime i take a pillion, i adjust it a couple of turns. with the rebound setup, i have never touched that settting - only preload.

my riding is fairly aggressive normally, but not when im with the wife on the back. i also do a fair bit of commuting in traffic around Sydney during the week. im 81kgs, and the wife is 53kgs at the moment. i got it setup for 85kgs and 55kgs pillion. i said that i carried up to 20kgs of luggage when i toured, and rode with a pillion 20% of the time. here is a copy/paste from my invoice:

1 135554 HYD Preload adjuster $320.00 $320.00
1 135553 Wilbers Springs 600-0276-00 $220.00 $220.00
1 00003 Express post 63404700912097 21/7 $25.00 $25.00
Wilbers 640-0660-00 FJR1300 2001 $798.00

85kg+55+20 @ 20% Blueline

prices may have changed, i ordered back in June last year. I dealt with Izzy (izzy@suspensionsrus.com.au)

My boss also got his suspension from the same place for his Yamaha FZ1 (gen 1). He is very happy with his setup.

i also put tapered SHBs in recently - from pyramid parts. my old ones had a distinct notch when the steering was straight. it corners like it's on rails again now :dance:
Dan, from Sydney
2001 Deep Purplish Blue Yamaha FJR 1300. The fastest and hottest FJR.

User avatar
The White Tiger
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2334
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:57 pm
Location: Toowoomba Queensland

Re: Pr3 tyre wear question

Postby The White Tiger » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:25 pm

Had my Wilbers for years SP. My experience is much the same as Dan - You can make almost infinite adjustments to suit yourself. It took a while to get the compression and rebound damping right and, now that it is, all I adjust is the preload for different weights on the bike. If you are keeping the bike for some time, it's WELL worth the cost.

When talking to your suspension guy, give them an approximate maximum and minimum weight on the bike so they can get the right spring. You can also get the Wilbers taller or shorter to suit you. A mate is 6'6" and has his Wilbers 5cm taller than standard, the front is raised also.
May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you're dead - An old Irish blessing
Learn the rules so you can break them properly - Dalai Lama

User avatar
Thommo
Scrawny Qlder
Scrawny Qlder
Posts: 1549
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:46 pm
Location: Central Qld
Contact:

Re: Pr3 tyre wear question

Postby Thommo » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:59 pm

Had major problems with mine when I first got it, mainly due to the bloke running the show at the time. But once I got that sorted it's a superb investment.
Suspension r us is owned by someone else now and in a new location ( 20 mins from my place) and they know what they are doing. I'll be dropping my shock back to them for a rebuild shortly.
Actually I'll make a new post in relation to that
Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or root it...

Piss on it and walk away

predator
Removing the Chicken Strips
Removing the Chicken Strips
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:17 pm
Location: Melbourne. South East

Re: Pr3 tyre wear question

Postby predator » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:24 pm

dmsantam wrote:
Sir Price wrote:New PR4 standard case fitted for the tour of Tassie 2016 and After about 2100 klms in Tassie both wet and dry now feels more like my bike . :grin: now to get the orse end suspension sorted and we will be back on track . I reckon at 60 odd thou klms it's time for a refresh of suspension units . Krooztune in Boronia come recommended , let's hope its rebuild able or summit else fitted with more adjustment .


At 60K kms, your suspension is indeed likely in need of some work. The rear is not rebuildable in theory, but some places do it somehow. I bought a wilber rear shock:
http://www.wilbers.com.au/index.php/pro ... ks/630-640

about 9 months and 15,000kms ago. i also bought wilbers progressive springs. The springs are based on your weight, and riding style. The rear shock is setup based on your weight and riding style too. The distributor from that website (suspensionsRus) is based in melbourne, and knows what he is doing.

This has completely transformed my bike, and how it handles. It wasn't cheap, at around $1,200 all up. I fitted it myself, with some Belray 10W fork oil.

Just my experience...


Thanks for your previous reply. Dropping mine off to Izzy at suspensionsrus tomorrow. My bike handles so poorly i want that transformation feeling...fingers crossed.
12' FJR1300AP
11' Kawasaki Ninja 1000
86' Honda 250R
8X' JAWA350
00' 200CC Chinese Trail bike

User avatar
dmsantam
Scraping The Pegs
Scraping The Pegs
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:36 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Pr3 tyre wear question

Postby dmsantam » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:37 pm

predator wrote:
dmsantam wrote:
Sir Price wrote:New PR4 standard case fitted for the tour of Tassie 2016 and After about 2100 klms in Tassie both wet and dry now feels more like my bike . :grin: now to get the orse end suspension sorted and we will be back on track . I reckon at 60 odd thou klms it's time for a refresh of suspension units . Krooztune in Boronia come recommended , let's hope its rebuild able or summit else fitted with more adjustment .


At 60K kms, your suspension is indeed likely in need of some work. The rear is not rebuildable in theory, but some places do it somehow. I bought a wilber rear shock:
http://www.wilbers.com.au/index.php/pro ... ks/630-640

about 9 months and 15,000kms ago. i also bought wilbers progressive springs. The springs are based on your weight, and riding style. The rear shock is setup based on your weight and riding style too. The distributor from that website (suspensionsRus) is based in melbourne, and knows what he is doing.

This has completely transformed my bike, and how it handles. It wasn't cheap, at around $1,200 all up. I fitted it myself, with some Belray 10W fork oil.

Just my experience...


Thanks for your previous reply. Dropping mine off to Izzy at suspensionsrus tomorrow. My bike handles so poorly i want that transformation feeling...fingers crossed.


no worries. im sure you'll be very happy with the performance.
Dan, from Sydney
2001 Deep Purplish Blue Yamaha FJR 1300. The fastest and hottest FJR.

User avatar
Steve
Sir Dickie Two Knees
Sir Dickie Two Knees
Posts: 4170
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:59 am
Location: Mindarie (Perth) WA
Contact:

Re: Pr3 tyre wear question

Postby Steve » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:24 pm

Good to hear that you're seeing Izzy.

Be sure to tell him of the discussions we are having in regards to their awesome product/pricing/service.

He should be well pleased.
FarRider #161

FOREVER RIDING Image WITH "DAVO" FarRider #1


Return to “Is there a doctor in the house?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests