Pr3 tyre wear question

For Technical or Mechanical discussions and problems
Sir Price
Grinding The Pipes
Grinding The Pipes

Re: Pr3 tyre wear question

Postby Sir Price » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:01 pm

The White Tiger wrote:I've had the trailing edges lift on a few tyres but never had them rip like that

I read an article last nite re feathering , more related to track bikes but feathering on the front of the tread block is rebound set to slow and feathering on the rear is rebound set to fast. I presume fast equals soft and slow equals hard.

I just came back from a short 1800 k Snowy Trip , before I left the rear had 3 mm over the TWI blocks .. two days of hi 20 degree temps and full load two the tyre was on the TWI blocks . :o Thankfully the weather and pace cooled . The right hand side of the tyre is now F..ked. Left still has heaps over the TWI . Maybe a good tyre for a track day at PI
2007 Blue FRiJ

The White Tiger

Postby The White Tiger » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:45 pm

Very interesting SP. You would think the principles would be the same on the street, just the speed at which the wear happens would be different :think:
May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you're dead - An old Irish blessing
Learn the rules so you can break them properly - Dalai Lama

Sir Price
Grinding The Pipes
Grinding The Pipes

Postby Sir Price » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:08 pm

The White Tiger wrote:Very interesting SP. You would think the principles would be the same on the street, just the speed at which the wear happens would be different :think:

Rear damper on my 07 with a stock Suspension unit is set to 4 clicks out which is one away from maximum according to the hand book , SO i cant slow mine down any more so it looks like new rears every 9,000 kays max. :dance:
2007 Blue FRiJ

GTRMAN
Learners Permit

Postby GTRMAN » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:06 pm

I would be happy with 9k km to a Tyre, I have had an aftermarket nitro shock fitted to my bike that is sprung and valved for me, makes the world of difference. Remember the standard rider profile for Yamaha is a 6th Asian man.

Sir Price
Grinding The Pipes
Grinding The Pipes

Re:

Postby Sir Price » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:46 pm

GTRMAN wrote:I would be happy with 9k km to a Tyre, I have had an aftermarket nitro shock fitted to my bike that is sprung and valved for me, makes the world of difference. Remember the standard rider profile for Yamaha is a 6th Asian man.

ai reckon I am pretty hard on tyres ,, but 9 k is doable on PR1,2,3 so far and just put a PR4 on the rear so lets see how it goes . It feels ok so far. BTW not many get past the FRIJ unless i say its OK :P
2007 Blue FRiJ

OX-34
Scraping The Pegs
Scraping The Pegs

Re:

Postby OX-34 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:23 pm

GTRMAN wrote:I would be happy with 9k km to a Tyre, ......

My PR3s lasted the whole of the Iron Butt Rally - about 17K in 12 days - from sub zero to over 40C, twisty back roads, interstates, dirt, and that sparkly quartz stuff in snow country. Fully laden and with 43 litres of fuel on board.

Enough tread for the new owner to cover a couple more thousand touring around two up. :clap:
Peter
IBA# 486
FJR IBA rides:
2008 white in AUS - SS1600K x 5, BBG2500K, SS3000M, Crooked 50CC x 2, 100CCC
2009 black in USA - 2013 IBR
2009 black in AUS - SS1600K, BB1500Miles GOLD, BB2500K, BB2500K GOLD SS3000K, SS3000K Gold, SS4000K Gold, Lap of Oz

Sir Price
Grinding The Pipes
Grinding The Pipes

Re: Re:

Postby Sir Price » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:12 am

OX-34 wrote:
GTRMAN wrote:I would be happy with 9k km to a Tyre, ......

My PR3s lasted the whole of the Iron Butt Rally - about 17K in 12 days - from sub zero to over 40C, twisty back roads, interstates, dirt, and that sparkly quartz stuff in snow country. Fully laden and with 43 litres of fuel on board.

Enough tread for the new owner to cover a couple more thousand touring around two up. :clap:

I always bugger the right hand side well before the left ,, maybe if I stopped dragging the pegs and hitting the gas so hard on right handers then I could get more mileage :whistle: :naughty: , but hey who's counting . I always swap the tyres out when I have one spot thats got a smooth line around it ( usually about 15 to 20mm from the outer edge ) regardless of the rest of the tyre cos I figure thats the part I ride the hardest and thats where I need grip. $300 a rear is cheap insurance I reckon . :grin:

Dunno how this PR4 is gonna go tho ,, the sipes dont run anywhere near the edge of the tyer unlike PR2 and 3 . A mate reckons you shouldnt be that far over in the wet ! :violin:
2007 Blue FRiJ

Shoey
Grinding The Handle Bars
Grinding The Handle Bars

Postby Shoey » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:12 am

My 1st set of PR4's gave me 13,000kms now I have PR4 GT's, they feel better when towing the camper trailer as well as solo. Will let you know how many km's I get out of them.
Shoey & Lola
1982 Honda GL 500 Silverwing BLUE SOLD
1983 Honda GL 650 Silverwing Red SOLD
1982 Honda CX 650E BLACK
1995 Honda Goldwing SE 20th Annaversary
Burgandy/Red SOLD
2009 FJR1300 Charcoal. SOLD
2013 FJR1300 Black.

graham downunder
Removing the Chicken Strips
Removing the Chicken Strips

Postby graham downunder » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:13 am

Australian road surface is generally much harder on tires than USA surface . Temperature of road surface and how coarse the surface is has a real affect . Over a certain temperature and coarseness tires wear dramatically its really an exponential curve . Wear on one side is due to the camber on the road to help drain the road surface .
On what I have read over the years front tire cupping can be reduced by using a higher front pressure and less hard late braking . I have seen improvements in tire wear on several bikes by raising front tire pressure , but if you are riding hard and fast tire wear is one of the costs you must pay . I generally run 42 psi in the front and rear but Cold wet riding I may lower it a bit . By the way on some bikes a fork brace can improve tire wear ,but I'm not sure an FJR needs one but if anyone has used one I'd like to know their experience .

Sir Price
Grinding The Pipes
Grinding The Pipes

Postby Sir Price » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:23 am

Just replacing front brake pads and lube on rear suspension ready for Tassie in March labour day holidays. 58000 klms and front pads not half worn cept the rear linked one which was down to about 2mm ,, ( don't forget I got not control over the clutch so back brake gets a work out doing slow stuff) I replaced the rear tyre about 9000 kl s ago with a PR4GT - and haven't been happy with the feel of it but it still has about 2 mm over the TWI on the right hand side . The left side is almost new , I am impressed with the mileage but still find the carcass to stiff even at 38 psi rear. So new standard PR4 coming up before 10 March cos the rear certainly won't last 3000 k in Tassie . Just on a side note I've always found the FJR tends to push the front end a little so recently jacked up front pre load to no lines out and backed off compression / rebound damping bay few clicks and Lo and behold it seems much better . Next for the ores end and we be right for another 50,000 klms.
2007 Blue FRiJ

Return to “Is there a doctor in the house?”