Spider Bite

For Technical or Mechanical discussions and problems
The White Tiger

Re: Spider Bite

Postby The White Tiger » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:29 am

Sounds like its broken Ian....toss it out and buy a new one 8-)
May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you're dead - An old Irish blessing
Learn the rules so you can break them properly - Dalai Lama

IanM
Removing the Chicken Strips

Postby IanM » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:35 am

The White Tiger wrote:Sounds like its broken Ian....toss it out and buy a new one 8-)

Yes Pete what a good idea, if you have some good second hand $ for sale I'll buy 25,000 of them from you @ 1c each and do just that. :lol: :lol: And if you agree with that Have I got a deal for you !!
The older I get the faster I was !!

Though you cannot go back and start again,

You can start from now and have a brand new end.

1942 Indian Chief with chair
1991 FJ 1200 B model
2007 FJR1300 Magic Maroon

Qtr Horse
Grinding the Oggy Knobs
Grinding the Oggy Knobs

Postby Qtr Horse » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:05 pm

Sillvafox wrote:I rode it for an hour or so via Northbridge to Botany as i was on my way to load it into a container bound for the UK ........
Sorry to hear about the problem Ron but did I miss something?
Can you direct me to the tread about shipping your FJR1300 to the UK and your plans for the trip (or fill us in if there is no thread yet!) ;-)
I'd like to know about the cost and issues of doing this type of trip.
Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.(Oscar Wilde)
I believe in getting into hot water; it keeps you clean. (Gilbert Chesterton)

GregW
Cultural Ambassador for Interstate Relations

Postby GregW » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:08 pm

Qtr Horse wrote:
Sillvafox wrote:I rode it for an hour or so via Northbridge to Botany as i was on my way to load it into a container bound for the UK ........
Sorry to hear about the problem Ron but did I miss something?
Can you direct me to the tread about shipping your FJR1300 to the UK and your plans for the trip (or fill us in if there is no thread yet!) ;-)
I'd like to know about the cost and issues of doing this type of trip.

There you go 1/4 of a horse......... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3485&p=41671&hilit=travel+to+holland#p41671
Of all the things that I've lost, my mind is the one I miss the most.

Sillvafox
The Chemist
The Chemist

Postby Sillvafox » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:08 pm

G'day 1/4, i'm taking the easy way and using a shipping agent so it's pretty simple , just pay your $3350 and fill out 1/2 a dozen forms .I'm using Dave Milligan's get routed but there is another guy just starting off called aussie bike shipping.

Dave is a little more expensive from the advertising but for me he has the runs on the board , he's been shipping bikes for many years. It's my first time so i'll let you know how it all goes .

Ron
09 in black

It's better to blowout than rust out

Qtr Horse
Grinding the Oggy Knobs
Grinding the Oggy Knobs

Postby Qtr Horse » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:05 am

Sillvafox wrote:G'day 1/4, i'm taking the easy way and using a shipping agent so it's pretty simple , just pay your $3350 and fill out 1/2 a dozen forms .I'm using Dave Milligan's get routed but there is another guy just starting off called aussie bike shipping.

Dave is a little more expensive from the advertising but for me he has the runs on the board , he's been shipping bikes for many years. It's my first time so i'll let you know how it all goes .

Ron
Thanks Ron, Not much more than the airfare ... if I didn't take the wife :shock: :lol: :lol:
Well not this year for me but will look forward to hearing how it all comes together.
Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.(Oscar Wilde)
I believe in getting into hot water; it keeps you clean. (Gilbert Chesterton)

IanM

Postby IanM » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:25 am

For Ron and others, not all spiders are dangerous, not all friends are harmless !! Have had the lady pretty much naked for a week now following wires back and forth throughout the frame looking for melted wires or signs of damage from heat. Opened up all the spiders again to look, nothing, all as clean as.

So everything electrical back together again. Connect up batt -ve, surprise surprise no starter constantly running. Turn on key and everything lights up as normal except high beam light on. Remember no blinkers probably because front ones not connected. Key on & off a few times, sometimes high beam on sometimes not.

Start bike, everything seems normal then high beam comes on. Shake wires in behind left front blinker where s6 spider lives and light goes out. So I start to wriggle connectors one at a time. There are two bundles of wires in this area. one has three connectors and the s6 spider in it. The 1st is a round white connector with a single white wire in it, 2nd a black two wire connector, third a rectangular white/clear 6 pin connector. This last one is the problem as one of the 6 pins is lighting up trying to melt the connector. Turn it off quickly.

Now to fix it , can't buy connectors from Yamaha in Aust and auto electricians are definately unhelpfull. As are suppliers. So I figure out how pins come out of connector and with a bit of surgery with scalpel remove damaged male & female pins. Bit of a file to clean up, good they are brass, heat shrink & solder plug together, solder & shrink, fixed !! Turns out all the other 5 female pins are a bit loose, So I pull them out, tighten them up with a gentle squeese, reassemble connector & plug up. All ok now. The troublesome wire was a black one with olive green spots just like the majority of the spider earth wires. If I can figure it out I will upload a couple of pics I took.

So problems could be in any connector, bit of a worry that! I now know more about panel removal also. The front nosecone can come apart in 3 peices. Two sides and the centre part. Hope this may help others.

You can see the s6 spider in the top right, the single wire connector on the left, repaired wire next to it, two pin connector underneath and problem one in the middle with the burn mark showing.

ImageImage
The older I get the faster I was !!

Though you cannot go back and start again,

You can start from now and have a brand new end.

1942 Indian Chief with chair
1991 FJ 1200 B model
2007 FJR1300 Magic Maroon

Ken Fraser
The Surgeon General
The Surgeon General

Postby Ken Fraser » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:24 am

Good find.

I take it it's another neutral that buggered up, same colour neutral wire as the spiders.
Brodies harness wouldn't fix that connector.

Brodie is not making them anymore, he just put a post on the USA Forum.

You can sleep easy when your away overseas.
In Thrust we Trust
2014 AE
2012 Stelvio NTX
2010 Spyder RT-S Limited Edition
2007 GSX1400
2002 Yellow TL1000R

graham downunder

Postby graham downunder » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:04 am

Now I can see a picture of the connectors here is what I used when working on Ammusment Machines which have similar connectors . Remove the innner section of an ordinary Bic pen then the outer is suitable to help the pins release . The correct tool is about $40. You can buy the connector pins both male and female at a Dick Smith store for a few cents each . I would fill the end where the wires go in with some silicone as it's generally the moisture that causes problems in these connectors ,sometimes it's movement of the wire in the pin over time that causes it to break ,so the silicone solves both . Do not put silicone in the end where the male and female pins join together !!

GregW
Cultural Ambassador for Interstate Relations

Postby GregW » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:14 am

I sure do hope this is a "2007" model problem and not for later models :?
Of all the things that I've lost, my mind is the one I miss the most.

Return to “Is there a doctor in the house?”